TN Semi Truck Driver Logs & Documentation
Tennessee Semi Truck Accidents and Driver Logs
TN Semi truck driver logs and documentation
In an effort to reduce semi truck accidents in Tennessee, the law requires truckers to keep a log book. To a semi truck accident attorney in Tennessee, the trucker's log becomes a critical piece of evidence in the event of a Tennessee semi truck accident.
The driver log serves several functions:
- Documents pre-trip inspections of the trucker's rig, which should include a detailed check of the tractor-trailer's parts and its systems
- Validates driver's performance of vehicle maintenance
- Documents the satisfactory repair of defects and deficiencies listed in a previous report
- Establishes a detailed routine/checklist of all relevant inspection points
- Serves as evidence in the event of a semi truck accident in Tennessee
The driver log routine
To confirm that the truck is in safe operating condition, the driver must start each pre-trip inspection by reviewing the previous vehicle inspection logs. If anything is marked for repair, the trucker double-checks to verify that the repair was performed.
The Tennessee commercial driver license (CDL) manual goes into great detail on what must be included in the driver log. The manual dedicates eight pages to just the driver log, including:
- Engine compartment (over 20 procedural steps)
- Cab check/engine start (over 46 steps)
- External Inspection (over 55 steps)
Preventing Tennessee semi truck accidents
In court, trucker log books often provide evidence of maintenance, repairs, and the driver's schedule and evidence of oversights in any of these areas that could have contributed to the Tennessee semi truck accident.
For more on driver logs and other trucker requirements, see:
- Tennessee Commercial Driver; Tennessee CDL Laws & Information
- Tennessee Commercial Drivers License FAQs
- Tennessee Special Licenses; Bus, CDL, Taxi, Chauffer, & Other TN Drivers Licenses
- CDL practice test; commercial drivers license practice CDL test at dmv.org
- Tennessee commercial driver license citations
- The Tennessee commercial driver license manual
Semi truck accident lawyer in Tennessee
When you need an attorney skilled in truck accident law, contact The Sexton Law Firm online or call (865) 691-7900 for a free initial consultation.
Our personal injury lawyers enjoy a highly respected reputation throughout the Knoxville and surrounding areas. We tirelessly work with our clients to expeditiously file their legal claims in order to receive financial compensation for their injuries. We welcome the opportunity to successfully represent you.